GAMING, ENTERTAINMENT & MEDIA
Our solicitors have first hand industry experience in various aspects of entertainment; we are active members of the International Association of Entertainment Lawyers (IAEL) , International Bar Association (IBA) entertainment and IP committee, which keeps us on top of contemporary entertainment issues.
Recent efforts by the Federal and some of the states to enact industry specific legislation for the Gaming industry has opened the doors for massive foreign investments by several operators in Nigeria.
Law Allianz has been a key player in providing advisory services to operators and concerned government agencies. We work with the leading names in the industry as well as new start-up companies on all matters relating to online gaming, licensing and regulation.
Our clients include casinos, bookmakers and lottery companies; we currently act as counsel to the Nigeria Gaming Association (NGA).
Film & TV
Nigerian Film industry, reputed to be the 2rd biggest movie industry in the world has witnessed phenomenal growth in recent times. DSTV – Africa’s premium cable network has Africa Magic 1, 2, 3, all dedicated to indigenous Nigeria films & drama.
From home videos we are now witnessing an elite crop of filmmakers deploying more resources and showcasing their movies in cinemas across Africa and the rest of the world.
These developments have spurned the need for well-informed and specialized legal services to handle complicated matters, which cut across financing, intellectual property, distribution & production etc.
We represent broadcasters, studios, independent producers, financiers, distributors and individual talents across the film and TV industry, from the inception of a project through its development/production, to its ultimate distribution.
option/purchase of screenplays, literary material and life story rights, commissioning writers, securing development financing;
co-production arrangements, equity investments, bank gap-financing, discounting and security;
producer, director, cast and crew arrangements; visual and special effects; production and post-production facilities; location arrangements and music licenses’; sale and leaseback re-financing; completion bond arrangements;
distribution/sales agency terms; film and programme sales and acquisition; format right sales and acquisition;
actor, director, writer, producer and individual talent deals; term deals; first look arrangements.
The Nigeria Music industry has also witnessed tremendous growth, dominating airplay in most of Africa as well as wining most of pan African music awards .The proliferation of such reputable music broadcast networks like MTV base Africa, Trace and Channel O etc has greatly impacted on the growth of the industry and brought about a convergence of African music now popularly referred to as “afrobeats”.
The growth of digital world means music can be accessed via a range of channels, through a variety of platforms and played on numerous devices; as mobile phone apps or downloads, streamed on a social networking sites, featured in video games or broadcast as an advert or full-length feature film.
This new environment has created both threats and opportunities that can either be protected or exploited.
We represent and advise artists, publishers, record labels and producers etc.
- Structuring and drafting detailed distribution, licensing, label agreements
- Negotiation of the commercial and financial terms of record deals
- Structuring and drafting detailed recording agreements
- Business Affairs
- Expert advice on the commercial terms of management agreements
- Structuring and drafting detailed management agreements
- Management of the band’s assets (including its name)
- Changes in a band’s membership
- Negotiating endorsement, management contracts etc
- Litigation, Licensing and distribution of music online on the mobile environment
- Rights management and protection
- Licensing music into film, TV, video and computer games
We have advised national and international Sporting events, government agencies, clubs, teams and individual sportsmen.
Our services include identifying, creating and managing client’s Intellectual Property portfolio as well as protecting same against any form of infringement.
Our attorneys have been involved in advising, negotiating and drafting contracts on media rights, domestic and international rights protection, sports data, brand packaging, anti ambush marketing strategies, publishing deals, DVD distribution arrangements and sponsorship.
- Sports broadcasting in new media,
- Strategies for sports governing bodies and organizations looking to exploit their rights
- Brand protection and licensing programmes
- Event management, innovative ticketing solutions
- Player representation, image rights
- Corporate governance
- Stadia and other property related transactions
Brands, Licensing and Franchising
We offer tailored solutions and bespoke advice on the protection and exploitation of intellectual property rights including branding, licensing and franchising, image rights licensing agreements (including endorsement and brand ambassador agreements).
Our clients include designers, brand-owners, investors, industry executives, celebrities, model agencies, online boutiques, start-ups and established businesses.
- Brand strategy and licensing
- Protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights
- Copyright and design rights
- Trademarks and passing off
- Celebrity endorsements
- Merchandising and distribution
- Agency and franchising agreements
- Online boutiques and e-commerce
- Reputation protection and management